Knoxville Emergency Bankruptcy Attorneys
Fast Solutions for Overwhelming Debt Issues in East Tennessee
Are you currently undergoing foreclosure, repossession, or wage garnishment? The Law Offices Of Mayer & Newton is here to provide immediate assistance. Our Knoxville emergency bankruptcy lawyers can often meet with clients on the same day they contact us. Do not delay taking action to put an end to these financial burdens. Doing so could result in further hardship and the loss of your property.
On This Page
- What is Emergency Bankruptcy?
- When Should I File for Emergency Bankruptcy?
- What Is Required for an Emergency Bankruptcy Filing?
- Questions About Bankruptcy? We Can Help.
Reach out to our certified bankruptcy lawyers at (865) 328-7993 today. We are located in Morristown, Knoxville, and Sevierville, TN.
When dealing with a creditor or lender that is attempting to garnish your wages, repossess your property, or foreclose on your home, you must take immediate action. An emergency bankruptcy filing is a fast and effective method of providing you with the legal protection you require. Once your filing is approved by the court, an automatic stay will be initiated, which protects your assets from your creditors.
Filing for Chapter 7 or Chapter 13 bankruptcy requires filling out and submitting a number of forms. The process involves gathering extensive information and formulating a successful bankruptcy case. While the normal filing process is often too slow to meet urgent needs, an emergency bankruptcy filing can help you quickly obtain the protection you require to ward off an immediate crisis.
Filing for emergency bankruptcy is usually considered in cases where urgent action is required to stop a creditor from collecting a certain debt.
Some examples of situations that may require an emergency filing include:
- Your home is pending in a foreclosure sale
- You have been serve with a lawsuit from creditors
- You are facing an IRS tax levy or seizure
- You want to prevent your business from closing
- You want to stop the government from freezing your bank accounts
You should consult an attorney to help you determine whether you qualify and would benefit from an emergency filing.
Emergency bankruptcy filings allow filers to, initially, submit fewer documents to the court than a normal filing.
For an emergency filing, you will need to submit:
- Voluntary Bankruptcy Petition: A three-page document that deals with your personal information and a summary of your bankruptcy case.
- Creditor Matrix: A list of all your creditors and any additional parties that you must inform about your bankruptcy.
- Exhibit D: A form that indicates to the court that either you have completed the credit counseling requirement (includes attaching a certificate of credit counseling) or you are not required to undergo such counseling.
After the court reviews and approves the emergency bankruptcy filing, the automatic stay will begin protecting your property from your creditors. You will then need to submit the remainder of your bankruptcy case to the court within 14 days. If you fail to file within 14 days, you may request an extension. Missing the first deadline without requesting more time or failing to meet the second deadline will result in a case dismissal.
Our Knoxville emergency bankruptcy attorneys are available to offer you the assistance you require. At The Law Offices Of Mayer & Newton, we have over 60 years of combined experience and have effectively handled over 50,000 cases in the Eastern District of Tennessee. Entrust your case to us to ensure that you receive the legal protection you require as quickly as possible.
Board Certified Bankruptcy Attorneys
Our attorneys are among the most knowledgeable in East Tennessee and are Board Certified Bankruptcy attorneys.
$0 Down for Chapter 13
We charge zero legal fees to start a Chapter 13 case.
$0 Down for Chapter 7
We charge zero legal fees to retain our firm to represent you in a Chapter 7.
Affordable & Flexible
We offer free consultations and take online payments for your convenience.
Over 50,000 Cases Filed
We have successfully filed over 50,000 cases in the Eastern District of Tennessee.
Caring & Effective
We have experienced attorneys and well-trained staff to ensure your case is handled effectively and with care.